Monthly Archives: July 2015

What happens when a Mexican Citizen can’t pay a medical bill from U.S.

My understanding, and this was derived from a niece of a friend of a friend who works in a major hospital on the border of the U.S. and Mexico.

They are unable to physically hold you (like in Mexico) for non payment of your medical bill. You can go as you please. However, and this is a big however, they might provide your personal information (not your medical information as this would be in violation with HIPPA) to the U.S. Consulate via a bill collection agency for example.

What can they do? They can withhold your Tourist Visa renewal, that’s what can happen.

If you are already a Mexican citizen, you already know that you do not want to encounter this scenario as time is not on your side. It is on the side of the medical provider, and the U.S. Department that handles the issuance of foreign visitors Visa’s.

The best course of action, is simple. If you do not have medical insurance that will cover you in the U.S., or you don’t have any medical insurance at all, then look into an International Health and Accident program or plan. They are easy to understand, inexpensive, and possibly a safety net if you find yourself in the position of having to visit an out of country hospital while visiting in the U.S.

The same or similar criteria occurs if you are stopped in Texas for example, and you do not have a car insurance policy that covers you in Texas. Either of these circumstances are easy to address.

There is an affordable, 3rd party liability auto policy that can be written by the day, week, month or year, much like the International Health and Accident program mentioned above.

If you have any questions about either, please feel free to contact us via Email, or phone at 001-915-591-8279 if you are in Mexico. OR, if you are already in the U.S. and need to ask us anything about International travel between the Americas, then give us a call at (915) 591-8279.

We also have information regarding this same scenario, except reverse. For those traveling into Mexico from the U.S. of Canada, in their personal car, or have need of International Health & Accident coverage for anywhere outside of the U.S. give or a call (#’s above) or Email us at

We would be delighted to answer your questions, comments or concerns.

Remember, for all of your Mexico Tourist Auto, Homeowners, Motorcycles, Boats and International Health Insurance needs, please call us at 1-800-434-3966 OR Email us at or visit us at to issue your own policy. We appreciate your business!