Vehicle Permits for Mexico

ICI Mexico permit map

Do I need a vehicle permit for Mexico?

If you’re driving to a Mexican Border town, such as Tijuana, Mexicali, Cuidad Juarez, Piedras Negras, Nuevo Laredo, or Matamoros then you do not need a vehicle permit. This is considered a Free Zone or Frontera. Generally, the Free Zone extends approximately 20-26 kilometers (roughly 12-16 miles) until you reach an Aduana/Banjercito location (port or booth)

What about Permits for Sonora or Puerto Penasco, or Baja.

You also don’t need a Vehicle Permit if you are specifically traveling anywhere in Baja, or certain areas of Sonora, such as Puerto Penasco. Please view the map above, and check banjercito (link below) to make certain that all information is up to date.

Can I get my vehicle Permit before I leave home?

Yes. You may apply for it online through this link, Banjercito. You will, however, still need to stop at one of their locations as provided below.   What your doing is limiting the amount of time your waiting in line, since you will have already presented most of your information prior to entering Mexico via Banjercito. You must allow them 10 business days to process this application prior to their issuing you the permit.

How many days may I request for this Permit?

This is technically referred to as a Temporary Importation Permit, emphasis on Temporary. Provides the time you are allowed to be in the country with your U.S. or Canadian registered vehicle, prior to returning the vehicle back to its place of Registration (U.S. or Canada) Generally, can request from 180-386 days dependent upon the type of Visa. You may also request a lower number of days, if you wish. Some request 180 days with the intent of exiting and then returning again prior to their permits expiration date, thus avoiding this process again. (See important cancelation procedures below)

Ports of Entry to Mexico from Texas


  • Nuevo Laredo (Patio Fiscal) 8am-4pm Monday-Saturday Closed Sunday
  • Nuevo Laredo (Puente Internacional I & II) 24 hrs – 7 days a week
  • Reynosa 24 hrs – 7 days a week
  • Nuevo Amanecer 8am-12am – 7 days a week
  • Ciudad Camargo 8am-6pm – 7 days a week
  • San Jeronimo 24 hrs – 7 days a week
  • Matamoros Pta. Dos 6am-10pm Monday-Sunday
  • Puente Nuevo 24 hrs – 7 days a week
  • Puente Ignacio Zaragoza 8am-9pm – Monday-Friday 9am-7pm – Saturday and Sunday
  • Puente TLC 9am-6pm Monday-Friday 9am-4pm Saturday Closed Sunday  


  • Cd. Juarez (Km. 30) 24 hrs – 7 days a week
  • Palomas 8am-12am – 7 days a week
  • Pte. Int. Ojinaga 24 hrs – 7 days a week
  • Piedras Negras (Km. 54.3) 24 hrs – 7 days a week
  • Acuña 24 hrs – 7 days a week
  • San Jeronimo 6am-10pm – 7 days a week  

Ports of Entry to Mexico from Arizona


  • San Luis Rio Colorado 8am-12am – 7 days a week
  • San Emeterio (Sonoyta) 8am-12am – 7 days a week
  • Nogales (Km 21) 24 hrs – 7 days a week
  • Naco – Anexo 4pm-10pm Thursday and 10am-10pm Friday-Sunday
  • Agua Prieta 24 hrs – 7 days a week
  • Cananea 8am-6pm Monday-Friday and 8am-4pm Saturday & Sunday

Ports of Entry to Mexico from California

Baja California Sur

  • La Paz (Pichilingue) 7am- 3pm Monday, Wednesday, Friday
    7am-6pm Tuesday and Thursday
    7am-3pm; 6:30pm-10:30pm Saturday
    8:30-4:30 Sunday

Baja California Norte (California Border Points)

    • Tijuana 7am-11pm – 7 days a week
    • Otay Mesa 8am-9pm – 7 days a week
    • Tecate 8am-8pm Monday-Friday and 8am-4pm Saturday and Sunday

  • Mexicali 6am-10pm – 7 days a week
  • Mexicali – Annex 8am-4pm Monday -Friday, 10am-2pm Saturday, Closed on Sunday.

Cost of your Vehicle Permit

Roughly $56 USD$ for a vehicle. Click here for the cost and the current exchange rate (Pesos to USD$) via Banjercito (give it a few moments to load) When you land on this page, you may choose your language of preference, Español or Inglés (English) in the upper right hand corner of this page.

If you are a Mexican citizen legally living in the U.S. or Canada then you must provide one of the following documents:

  • Permanent Resident Card (Resident Alien).

  • Certificate of Naturalization.

  • Passport (not Mexican).

  • Passport Card.

If you are a foreigner to Mexico, then you will need to provide a valid passport or Passport Card and the official document issued by the Instituto Nacional de Migración (National Immigration Institute).

Guaranteed Deposit for your Vehicle Permit

The following amounts are applied as a “Guarantee” or deposit to the Mexican Gov’t for the temporary importation of your vehicle into Mexico, and is based upon the year of your vehicle.  You may use a Debit or Credit Card, issued in your name. This deposit will be returned to your account after the Vehicle Permit is cancelled, and must occur prior to your vehicle permits expiration date. Something to remember if using a Debit Card.

Vehicle Year Model  
2007 and later 400 USD $
2001 until 2006 300 USD $
2000 and earlier 200 USD $

Cancelation of your Permit

THIS IS IMPORTANT. You must, YOU MUST, turn in your vehicle permit PRIOR to it’s expiration…period. Failure to do so will entail a long drawn out process to cancel the permit AFTER it has expired. Take our word for it and just don’t do it. You will lose your deposit (Guarantee, above), and suffer the possibility of not being allowed to return to Mexico until straightened out (removed from their system)

Why does Mexico make us do this?

The reason why Mexico requires this is simple, The cost of a new or used car in Mexico is expensive. Actually more expensive than the U.S. or Canada. Mexican citizens have to pay IVA (tax) on a vehicles purchase, and most cannot afford it. Consequently, many Mexicans just don’t pay the tax on an imported vehicle. Mexico then loses on the Importation Tax which amounts to millions! If you fail to return or cancel your vehciles permit prior to it’s expiration date, you will automatically forfeit the deposit that you paid based upon your vehicle value listed above.

Remember, for all of your Mexico Tourist Auto, Homeowners, Motorcycles, Boats and International Health Insurance needs, please call us at 1-800-434-3966 OR Email us at or visit us at to immediately issue your own policy. We appreciate your business, Like us on Facebook, and tell your friends!

6 thoughts on “Vehicle Permits for Mexico

  1. Carlos

    What if I don’t have my drivers license with me and I have every other document such as my passport, and I really need to go to juarez in my car for only two weeks for my kids interview? Do I get a fine or some kind of determining?

    1. admin Post author

      The Passport is needed for providing proof of your US citizenship upon your return to the U.S. It also provides proof of your citizenship to the Mexican authorities, but does not act as a replacement for your Drivers License while driving in Mexico. Driving a car, any car, whether US or a Mexican Registered car without a valid Drivers License could subject you to a possible fine. Just like in the US. Mexican border authorities generally do not request or require you to show a Drivers license in the Free Zone, such as Juarez. However, as previously mentioned, if you are pulled over for a traffic citation, accident, etc. and you don’t have a Valid drivers license, then you will be subject to whatever fines are applicable. Also, if you do not have a valid drivers license you would be excluded from using a Mexico Tourist Automobile insurance policy, which is what we do, and is a very important necessity if you are involved in an accident. I don’t know your circumstances, but try to get a valid drivers license regardless if your travels are the US or Mexico. Hope this helps.

  2. RIE

    So I can drive across to Juarez without a permit so as long I don’t go past the FreeZone? Do I need to carry Mexican insurance? What if the Car I’ll be driving is under my wife’s name but she will not make the travel with me? Thanks for advice!

    1. admin Post author

      Correct. Everyday there are many thousands of vehicles that cross each border every day. The issue for the permit generally does not come into play until you at past the frontera or free zone. This is not a guarantee however, but fairly certain. Hope this helps.

    1. admin Post author

      You would do well to have the Mexico insurance. The requirement for that is:

      1. Valid US Drivers License. However, if you are driving and do not posses that, then it could jeopardize the coverage.

      FYI, the cost for 3rd party liability only, which is all you have to have while driving in Mexico, (or the US for that matter) for two weeks is $74.95 and for a year is only $192.79.

      Hope this helps. Please tell your friends about us. Our web site is available on your phone, tablet, PC or laptop at


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *