Tag Archives: Insurance Coverage

Does my U.S. auto insurance cover me in Mexico?

NO. Mexico does not recognize U.S. 3rd Party Liability coverage on any policy other than on a valid Mexican Insurance policy, underwritten by an authorized Mexican insurance company.

YES. For the Physical Damage (Collision & Theft) coverage IF your U.S. auto insurance policy covers it in the U.S. AND it contains a Border Endorsement. This generally occurs if you live at or near the U.S. Mexican border. This only applies to the Physical Damage coverage to your vehicle while in Mexico. THIS DOES NOT INCLUDE THE 3rd PARTY LIABILITY MENTIONED ABOVE, WHICH IS REQUIRED TO OPERATE YOUR VEHICLE IN MEXICO. FYI, 3rd Party or Public Liability coverage is for “injury or property damage you cause the other guy”…This coverage is a standard moral and financial requirement in the U.S. as well as Mexico.

IMPORTANT: Your U.S. insurance agent may not completely understand this Endorsement, especially if you are domiciled away from the U.S. / Mexican border. Some U.S. insurance companies provide the Endorsement, only with the requirement of your purchasing the Mexican 3rd Party Liability policy through a Mexican insurance company. Some may not have this requirement. Yet others might provide various degrees to range of territory (25 kilometers, 100 kilometers, or all of Mexico) or limited time requirements for travel in Mexico. In any case, you should know that, at the very least, Mexican authorities will typically require restitution on the spot (by law) if you do not possess a Mexican Tourist Auto policy. If you do not have the monies ($$$) on your person to pay for the damage, or injuries you have caused a 3rd party, including your own passengers, then you are subject to being detained, and your vehicle confiscated until all fines, fees, and damages are paid.

If you are relying upon your U.S. insurance companies Border Endorsement for Physical Damage to your vehicle, they require YOU to tow the vehicle back to the U.S. for repairs. Tough to do even near the border, and tougher (and more $$$) if you are in the interior! For a few bucks a day, it is just not worth it…

Conclusion: Do not rely upon your U.S. auto insurance in Mexico, have peace of mind while enjoying your Mexico travels by purchasing a Mexico Tourist Auto insurance company from a reputable Agent and insurance company.

Now go enjoy your adventure! If you have any questions, please feel free to call or E Mail.

For all of your Mexico Auto, Homeowners, Motorcycles, Boats and International Health Insurance needs, please call us at 1-800-434-3966 OR Email us at ici@mxici.com or visit us at mxici.com to issue your own policy. We appreciate your business!

Does your U.S. Auto Insurance cover you in Mexico?

YES, and NO. It depends upon the scenario encountered. For example…

It depends entirely upon what type of coverage you have and what State your policy is issued.

For instance, in the State of Texas, which obviously borders Mexico, there is what is commonly referred to as a “Border Endorsement” to your Texas Auto Policy.

This particular endorsement, however has some serious restrictions and limits.

Currently, the Texas Dept of Insurance provides some very limited information as to what your Texas Auto policy will cover. Everything, and I mean everything written in this publication does not address whether your policy will or not cover you in Mexico. It is ambiguous at best, and misleading in some respects.

Read below:
*Driving in Other States, Canada, and Mexico
A Texas automobile insurance policy usually meets the financial responsibility requirements of other U.S. states and Canada. Mexico, however, does not recognize U.S. auto liability policies.

Mexican authorities can hold drivers criminally and financially responsible for any auto accidents they cause. If you’re in an accident that results in an injury, police may detain you until they determine who is at fault. You will have to show that you either have insurance recognized by the Mexican government or the financial ability to pay any judgment against you.

Some U.S. companies provide a free endorsement extending your policy’s coverage to infrequent trips of up to 10 days and as far as 25 miles into Mexico. You can buy coverage for longer stays, but it is usually valid only within 25 miles of the border. In addition, these endorsements might not meet Mexican legal requirements.

You may be able to buy a Mexico “tourist” endorsement for your U.S. policy. This endorsement extends your liability coverage to pay costs exceeding a Mexican liability policy’s limits. It covers trips of any distance and any length of time. Ask your agent which endorsements your insurance company offers.

The aforementioned was taken directly from the Texas Dept of Insurance Web Site for Auto Publications.

For all of your Mexico Auto and International health insurance needs, please call us at 1-800-434-3966 OR Email us at ici@mxici.com or visit us at www.mxici.com We appreciate your business!